1. Moses called together all the people of Israel and said to them, "People of Israel, listen to all the laws that I am giving you today. Learn them and be sure that you obey them.
2. At Mount Sinai the LORD our God made a covenant,
3. not only with our fathers, but with all of us who are living today.
4. There on the mountain the LORD spoke to you face-to-face from the fire.
5. I stood between you and the LORD at that time to tell you what he said, because you were afraid of the fire and would not go up the mountain. "The LORD said,
6. 'I am the LORD your God, who rescued you from Egypt, where you were slaves.
7. " 'Worship no god but me.
8. " 'Do not make for yourselves images of anything in heaven or on earth or in the water under the earth.
9. Do not bow down to any idol or worship it, for I am the LORD your God and I tolerate no rivals. I bring punishment on those who hate me and on their descendants down to the third and fourth generation.
10. But I show my love to thousands of generations of those who love me and obey my laws.
11. " 'Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the LORD your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name.
12. " 'Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy, as I, the LORD your God, have commanded you.
13. You have six days in which to do your work,
14. but the seventh day is a day of rest dedicated to me. On that day no one is to work---neither you, your children, your slaves, your animals, nor the foreigners who live in your country. Your slaves must rest just as you do.
15. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt, and that I, the LORD your God, rescued you by my great power and strength. That is why I command you to observe the Sabbath.
16. " 'Respect your father and your mother, as I, the LORD your God, command you, so that all may go well with you and so that you may live a long time in the land that I am giving you.
17. " 'Do not commit murder.
18. " 'Do not commit adultery.
19. " 'Do not steal.
20. " 'Do not accuse anyone falsely.
21. " 'Do not desire another man's wife; do not desire his house, his land, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns.'
22. "These are the commandments the LORD gave to all of you when you were gathered at the mountain. When he spoke with a mighty voice from the fire and from the thick clouds, he gave these commandments and no others. Then he wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me.
23. "When the whole mountain was on fire and you heard the voice from the darkness, your leaders and the chiefs of your tribes came to me
24. and said, 'The LORD our God showed us his greatness and his glory when we heard him speak from the fire! Today we have seen that it is possible for people to continue to live, even though God has spoken to them.
25. But why should we risk death again? That terrible fire will destroy us. We are sure to die if we hear the LORD our God speak again.
26. Has any human being ever lived after hearing the living God speak from a fire?
27. Go back, Moses, and listen to everything that the LORD our God says. Then return and tell us what he said to you. We will listen and obey.'
28. "When the LORD heard this, he said to me, 'I have heard what these people said, and they are right.
29. If only they would always feel this way! If only they would always honor me and obey all my commands, so that everything would go well with them and their descendants forever.
30. Go and tell them to return to their tents.
31. But you, Moses, stay here with me, and I will give you all my laws and commands. Teach them to the people, so that they will obey them in the land that I am giving them.'
32. "People of Israel, be sure that you do everything that the LORD your God has commanded you. Do not disobey any of his laws.
33. Obey them all, so that everything will go well with you and so that you will continue to live in the land that you are going to occupy.